Tuesday, June 23, 2015

How to Get a New Site Up and Running - Blog Entry # 23

The Punksters.net website has been up and running for five months now. Things are going well but it took a bit of work and thought for it to get where it is at today. So I thought I'd give some advice to anyone hoping to do something similar or at least try to get a website up and running. There are a lot of things to consider.

The first item of consideration is content. Your site needs it. I have seen a number of websites that did not have much for content. The sites are loaded with images and they look very nice but, unfortunately for them, search engines really look more for text and if you don't have any text in your site, it just won't be search engine friendly. so I basically offer a commentary on each comic strip, even if it is a couple of sentences, it is at least something. I also have a Characters page where the characters from the comic strip are introduced and their is quite a bit of detailed text there.

Another thing to think about is Google Analytics. I add that to every website. I like to know the stats like the number of visitors, where they come from, what pages they visit and how many pages per visit. there are so many stats that you can get by using Google Analytics. it's good to know the facts. then you can make decisions on what to promote, what parts of the website you might want to add more pages to and so on.

Social media promotion is important. I do a lot of that for all of my websites but I have gone all out for the Punksters.net website. Every time I add a new feature or comic strip, I post it on the pages of my social media accounts. I use Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Google Plus. I use others but those are the main ones. I spend a lot of time posting on those sites.

I also do the blog for the comic strip as well, as you can tell by reading this post. in the early stages, I actually got more visits to the blog for the website than I did to the website. the website has since surpassed the blog but it is safe the say that the blog does work well for promoting the site.

My point here is that just building a site and waiting for people to show up is simply not enough. There are so many other things to think about and do. I listed just a few but they are some pretty important points of consideration. It should give you something to think about if you are getting ready to put a site together yourself.

Bob Craypoe, also known as R. L. Crepeau

For the latest Punksters.net Comic Strip, CLICK HERE!

No comments: