Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Challenges of Doing the Punksters.net Comic strip - Blog Entry # 43

Although I really enjoy doing the Punksters.net comic strip, there are a few challenges involved in the process.  The biggest challenge is trying to do continuing or developing stories over the long term while doing a four frame strip with a punchline delivered in the fourth frame.

Another thing is trying to make it so that if someone sees the comic strip for the first time, they would get the punchline. I sometimes worry that maybe they don't know the characters very well and so they might not get some of the jokes that others who follow the strip regularly would.

The comic strip also features a good number of characters as well. Over thirty, to date, as of the time of me writing this blog entry. I try to alternate things so that I don't go too long without having each character make an appearance. i also have to come up with a scenario that fits the characters that appear in a given strip.

Lately, I have been concentrating on trying to have as many characters appear in a strip as possible so that you don't have to wait too long to see each character appear in a strip.

Originally, I was not sure if I would be able to come up with enough ideas or scenarios to do a continuing strip for an extended period of time. Fortunately, I have been able to do nearly 200 at this pint. over 150 have officially been released.

Other than the creative aspect of it, marketing it is a time-consuming daily ritual. Then I have the website to maintain and update as well as this blog. But I do get a lot of satisfaction as I continue to create more and more. It's fun to see how much can accumulate over time. things really add up after a while. So in spite of the challenges, the rewards are worth it in the end.

Bob Craypoe, also known as R.L. Crepeau

3 comments:

Tim Clark said...

I have always been impressed by your ability to produce strips at this pace and maintain such consistent quality. Building a world and maintaining it has to be difficult. Keep up the good work.

You do need a "follow" option on your blog, though.

Bob said...

Thank you for the kind comments and the suggestion. I'll have to figure out how to do the follow option.

Bob said...

IFIGURED OUT HOW TO DO A FOLLOW BY E-MAIL OPTION.