Friday, April 22, 2016

Just Your Average Guy on the Street - Blog Entry # 45

When I go to create a character, a lot of times I just tinker around until I come up with a look for the character that I like. Often, I will have something in mind. Then, when I think I have tinkered enough or have something that I am really satisfied with, I call it finished.

The funny thing is, though, that there have been a number of times where I would just think that I am creating something off of the top of my head and have later come to discover that it was really the result of something I may have been influenced by in my everyday life.

One example is this morning while driving down the road. There is this one guy that I have seen a number of times. He has a Mohawk. His appearance is almost cartoon like and it just occurred to me that he was an influence on one of the characters that I created. I mean, he looks exactly like him.

So here I was thinking that I was being totally original when I created the character in question. But instead I was subconsciously imitating something I had seen in real life. Maybe just your average guy on the street.

The character he resembled was the one displayed here in this blog post. That is Gerald “Bang” Bangston, the first character I created that is used in the Punksters.net Comic Strip. This character was the beginning of the whole thing. It was after I had created him that I had gone on to add the other main characters of the strip.

So now this guy will forever be immortalized in a comic strip without even knowing it and all he did was walk down the street minding his own business. Just your average guy on the street.  

Bob Craypoe, also known as R. L. crepeau

No comments: