Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Politically Incorrect Comic Strip - Blog Entry # 33

Some of you may have already come to the conclusion that the Punksters.net comic Strip is generally not politically correct. I would obviously agree with that assessment and also state that it was never intended to be so and never will be either. 

For starters, if I worried all of the time about who I might offend, I wouldn't have any material to work with. Secondly, we live in a society now that any thing you say will offend someone, no matter how hard you may be trying to avoid that. So, to simplify matters, I just don't worry about it.

We often hear about how cartoonists are threatened for doing cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. Some will say that they are going too far by threatening someone's life and in some cases they actually follow through with those threats. However, mocking someone's religion is probably more offensive than anything else and yet it is often deemed acceptable. Whereas if you were to joke about other things like sexual orientation, drug abuse, sexual promiscuity or other things having to do with society, people are generally up in arms over it.

Now as bad as it is to threaten the life of someone for doing a cartoon of religious figures, some people will also do the same regarding other matters. Things like differing political views, different stances on social issues and etc. Some may not go as far as to want you dead but will certainly seek out to destroy you professionally or financially. In other words, they will seek out to ruin your life as a means of exacting revenge for your "hateful" or "offensive" jokes or remarks.

Recently, some famous stand up comedians have made public statements regarding how they don't want to perform at colleges and universities because of the excessively politically correct environment. They worry about how anything they say will be deemed as some sort of hate speech because someone will get offended by a joke.

Personally, I think that there will be a point in which there will be a backlash because some people just take things too far by trying to literally destroy people for saying something that offends them. At a certain point, people won't care what they say anymore because they know that whatever they say, someone will be offended. So, at that point, why should someone even try not to offend people anymore? After all, anything they say will do that anyway. And since that is the case, they could throw all caution out the window and really let loose.

My humor, or what I try to pass off as humor, hasn't gotten to that point yet. I don't go out of my way to offend people and I do take some things into consideration to avoid unnecessarily angering people. I also make no references to religion at all. However, I believe that I do have the right to poke fun at certain things without having to worry about being destroyed professionally or financially for doing so.

If I see something on the television that has a sort of humor used that annoys me, I don't try to contact the show's sponsors to have them pull their ads or try to get the show canceled. Instead, I simply turn the channel. I vote with my remote. I believe in the first amendment and the basic principal of freedom of expression. I believe that applies to views I disagree with just as much as the ones I agree with. I just wish other people felt the same way.

So if you are offended by a superhero who is a crack ho and another one that is a crystal meth addict, well then I am sorry. More characters that will probably offend people are going to be added in the future as well. So you should just get over it, vote with your remote and go seek your entertainment elsewhere.

Bob Craypoe, also known as R. L. Crepeau

No comments: